Once again, a trip to Barrie’s Carnivore Heaven takes us to Burnett’s Butcher Shop on Bryne Drive.
Every visit to this meat lover’s dream location sets the imagination on fire.
This butcher shop not only offers the best in meats but all the accoutrements to create the most mouth-watering meals.
Once again, the staff at Burnett’s are giving up a recipe starring a variety of meat to cook either inside or out on the BBQ.
Again, everything is available at the shop to create your own ‘meat-ster piece’ at home, or already prepared and ready for you.
Burnett's London Broil
London Broil is a perfectly tender piece of meat usually marinated in a liquid mixture with spices and seasoning and then broiled in the oven. The Burnett recipe takes it up a notch with a combination of meats, rolled into a spectacular roast, that slices into decadent servings of a tried and true favourite.
1 Flank Steak or Round Steak
1 lb. of double-smoked bacon
1 lb. of ground Sweet Italian sausage meat
Mean Moe’s Badass Steak Spice
Freshly ground black pepper
- Lay your steak between two layers of wax paper and tenderize using a meat mallet.
- Lay the double-smoked bacon over the entire surface of the prepared meat.
- Crumble your ground sausage over the bacon, pressing firmly to cover the entire surface.
- Roll the entire steak in a jelly roll fashion, tying it in three places with the butcher cord.
- With your prepared ‘steak roll’ at room temperature, dry the entire surface well with a paper towel.
- Sprinkle the entire surface with your steak spice.
- Make sure the pan that will be used for searing is hot, hot, hot! If the pan is too cool when you add the meat, it can stick and tear when you try to turn it.
- Add about two tablespoons of vegetable oil to the pan,
- Turn the heat to high and watch for the oil to ripple.
- Add the meat; don’t move it. Let it sear undisturbed for a few minutes on one side and then the other.
- Using tongs, sear each end of the roll as well.
- If cooking on the BBQ, place on the potato rack for approximately 15 minutes per side.
- If cooking in the oven, preheat to 350 degrees and cook for 20 minutes per side.
- Let sit for a few minutes before slicing.
Just a Note
This is a very dressed-up meal to serve to the masses. Each slice looks and tastes amazing with the flavours of each meat mingling through. Try serving with Loaded Baked Potatoes and Fresh Green Beans. Excellent with a Robust Red Wine or a Bold IPA.
A Bit About Burnett's
Not only are the meats available at Burnett’s Butcher Shop on Bryne Drive (Barrie’s Carnivore Heaven), but now also available at Fine Foods in Friday Harbour, and Starport Marina in Orillia and Port Severn.
The shop on Bryne Drive provides everything but your ‘bevys’ to make your meal spectacular.
For This Weekend
Stop by and grab the limited-time Turkey Kabobs, plain or marinated for $5.00/lb
Wagyu Beef Burgers for only $8.99/lb.
While Supplies Last
Written By: Jane Laker
Photo Credit: Stephen Elliott
Have you got a favourite London Broil Recipe? Share it with us in the comments!
Are you a Barrie area business looking to expand your digital footprint? Let us know! We’ll get you Uncovered!